(or it already is in some districts)! This is a time of year that is often filled with worry, anxiety and feeling overwhelmed. Here are some tips for both parents and students that will help get the new school year started off on the right foot!
1. Plan ahead! Make your lunch, pack your bag and pick out your clothes the night before.
2. Keep an assignment notebook or app on your phone to keep track of what is due when.
3. Utilize your teachers/counselors as SOON as you feel you may be having some trouble in the class.
4. Create a space at home for doing your work. Keep snacks, water and everything you need in that space.
5. Implement study breaks.
6. Get enough sleep!! (7-8 hours a night)
7. Feeling anxious? Take 5 deep breaths. Inhale through your nose and exhale out your mouth.
8. Are you having fun in the sports and clubs you are in? If not, time to re-evaluate.
9. Parents-allow for some privacy in your kids social/academic schedule, but students-be open to questions from mom and dad!
10. Maintain family time! Whether it is dinner 3 times a week, lunch on the weekends, a family weekend trip or text check ins, stay connected with them. (Limit screen time!)
Finally, if feelings of stress, worry and anxiety become unmanageable or overwhelming, please reach out to someone. By phone, email, text, facebook, anything. You will be amazed at who is ready and willing to support you!
Above all, have a great year!